Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Monday, June 20, 2016

1/3000 naval sets

And now for something completely different...

It's birthday season in house Prufrock, and while the kids were ransacking the local toy shop for MineCraft accessories to spend some of their gift money on I trotted over to have a quick look at the plastic models section. Would you believe it, but they had four 1/3000 WWII dock sets in. 1/3000 naval is something I've wanted to get into for some time now so this fool and his money were quickly parted.


At home tonight I opened up the Yokosuka naval base set to have a gander and liked what I saw. There are ten ships and a diorama base, so you get quite a lot for your money.

The models are very finely made, and everything seems to have been engineered with typical Japanese exactitude. The battleships are absolutely lovely, but I decided to start with something a little simpler.

Here is the sprue for the carrier Shokaku.



And another for the Fubuki class destroyers.


The three pieces for the carrier went together very nicely, and only slight trimming was needed.


Definitely similar to the real thing!

By Unknown - 広島県呉市海事歴史科学館所蔵品。(Hiroshima Prefecture Yamato Museum collection), Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3579869

An excellent find, and I'm very pleased. I'm not confident in my painting on hard plastic and in this scale, however, so hopefully I won't stuff things up too much in the next step!


8 comments:

  1. That is an awesome find - the ships look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those look cool, Aaron! I could definitely try those out. The scale would not be storage prohibitive, and the models look really nicely detailed and sturdy for gaming. I've never really had a great interest in naval gaming, but these do look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really cool looking sets. I'd never even considered that such things existed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all; they are a real pleasure to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That level of detail is amazing. Nice catch!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...